Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Weatherstock Forum Index -> Archive Weatherstock 2017
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Hakiryu

re: Questions concerning preconcert / summit

I really love weatherstock and I always loved playing there.
But timewise I have to agree with my bandleader Kandral.

Last year it was 1:30 AM CET or so when it ended and for a lot of people that is rather late.
So I really hope the schedule can be changed to accomidate the EU ppl..

However I'd like to give my 2 cents on the voting.. (as Floradine suggested a 2 part series)

In my humble opignion the current voting system isn't really fair.. it favours the later playing bands (fresher in memory) and takes no account for people who just can't stay the entire day.

My suggestion, I think is the fairest to all, is:
Let ppl vote on the bands individually on a scale from 1 to 5 and take a weighed averadge from that.
Voting for each band will be open from 5 mins after they started till 5 mins after they ended.. then next poll opens..

Just a thought

(can't find the edit button, it's late)

About the voting system:
- if you haven't seen the gig, you can't vote on it
- it's fair to both visitors and bands.. you loved the band, but gotto wait 2+ hours before you can say so.. but then you have to be in bed..
- All polls can be linked on one webpage

If the poll would be this way, it'll be fair to all timezones and would deminish (in my view) the objections to the current time table..

it's far to both bands and visitors

Hakiryu wrote:
(can't find the edit button, it's late)far
= fair

Weatherstock X

Hakiryu wrote:

My suggestion, I think is the fairest to all, is:
Let ppl vote on the bands individually on a scale from 1 to 5 and take a weighed averadge from that.
Voting for each band will be open from 5 mins after they started till 5 mins after they ended.. then next poll opens..

Voting during performances is a pretty fair.

Yes, with grades on a scale, and then you can just count the points.

It can also reduce the total time, because calculate the points during and after the performance of each band can be faster than opening the voting after all performances.
Floradine
Event Staff
Weatherstock X

I'm sorry but voting directly after the gig is actually quite unfair. The bands that play early will have their fans with them and they get a score. Later playing bands then know which high score to beat and can start calling friends, friend's friends, their grandparents, aunts, uncles, distant relatives, their dog, the cat and the hamsters on the computer, a phone etc.

Last edited by Floradine on Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Weatherstock X

Okay, we are talking internally about the time changes. Frankly, we are not super convinced right now. One thing is for absolute certain: We won't move it as much as proposed here by the Kegs. And the move will require all of the bands to agree with it. Nothing's decided yet but I won't get too excited.

I'm sorry but voting directly after the gig is actually quite unfair. The bands that play early will have their fans with them and they get a score. Later playing bands then know which high score to beat and can start calling friends, friend's friends, their grandparents, aunts, uncles, distant relatives, their dog, the cat and the hamsters on the computer, a phone etc.

I don't agree on that Floradine.
Firstly: the score for each band wouldn't be made public untill the end
Secondly: With the current scoring system, people also can ask their friends etc to vote for them if they see they're not scoring well. So no difference there.

In the current system later bands have the advantadge to:
- ppl who were online when the first band played may not be online anymore when the voting takes place
- ppl who are there at the voting may not have seen the first bands because they just came online later
- And for those who actually been there the entire time.. do you still recall propperly how much you liked the first band.. specially after seeing another 18?

It is a full day event and Weatherstock is Grand, but I really believe one voting moment at the end isn't the fairest way.
Having a weight averadge score per band is, in my opignion, not only fairest to the bands, but also to the public. You can cast a fair vote, no matter what time you're able to be online. You don't have to wait till way past your bedtime to be able to vote.

Guest Post Rules are In Effect for this Post
Hakiryu

I don't agree on that Floradine.
Firstly: the score for each band wouldn't be made public untill the end

*snip*
Sorry forgot to log in.
That is my post

Weatherstock X

From a purely academic standpoint, having a voting window after each band takes away the chance to vote for a band from those people who were not there during the window for any reasons.

But much more importantly, having the audience be distracted from the band performances due to voting is not something I would want.

Weatherstock X

And even more important: It takes away the excitement of having a vote at all for everyone.

Floradine wrote:
And even more important: It takes away the excitement of having a vote at all for everyone.

Maybe.. maybe not.. but at least everyone gets to vote my way.

Whatever way you all choose, it'll still be a great festival Happy

Weatherstock X

There is a vote now available in the bandleader sub-forum, for whether to change the summit schedule only. The vote will be open for 4-days, ending before the start of the WCS.

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Corumael
LMB Officer
Weatherstock X

Floradine wrote:
But much more importantly, having the audience be distracted from the band performances due to voting is not something I would want.

Yes, and having to switch to a browser constantly during an event like Weatherstock would be a problem for me, I might end up crashing.
And I don't want to miss the performance of the next band while voting for the first, and if we have a pause for voting between every band Weatherstock will last a lot longer than I can handle staying awake for Happy

Voting all though the event will be just as unfair as voting at the end of the event and the reason for that is People Happy We can't be sure who votes and why and we have no idea if they saw the show they voted for, etc etc. The only fair voting would be to hire professional musicians/judges who doesn't know anyone in LOTRO, and since we can't do that, we'll just have to do the best we can Happy

Weatherstock X

I would still ask you once again to pay attention to my proposal to reduce the voting time to 15-20 minutes. I think that this will be quite enough for all the spectators and participants who will be at Weathertop at the time of the announcement of the voting to give their votes.
But after 15 minutes, when the preliminary results are visible, as Miss Floradine said:
Floradine wrote:
can start calling friends, friend's friends, their grandparents, aunts, uncles, distant relatives, their dog, the cat and the hamsters on the computer, a phone etc.

Weatherstock X

Yes, but at least that's the same for all the bands at the end of the show.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: