This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Weatherstock Forum Index -> Archive Weatherstock 2018
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meriafast

re: Set Length

Hello everybody..

dunno where to post it else, so i do here. Will it be a big problem if the Weathertop set is one and a half minute longer that 15? I find it very hard to match 15 (or even less with not playing just three songs :D )

Greets,

Meri
Hannariel/Brioney
Band Leader
Weatherstock X

I don't know about that. But I think the 15 minutes if from the time you get on the rock to the time you get off. So when I do the set for our band I always subtract about 2 or 3 minutes to allow for getting up onto the rock, changing instruments between songs, and getting off the rock for the next band. I would rather end a little early so I don't inconvenience the band following us.

bandleader
Dawlen Rivers
Band Leader
Weatherstock X

i think its 20 min total per band 15 min and a encore its been a year or so for me but you might wanna get with the staff to confirm
Byrcha
LMB Officer
Weatherstock X

Please note, as mentioned in the application, set parameters have not changed. Summit sets at Weatherstock are 15-minutes total. This includes any/all encores. This includes all time needed for setup/introduction/banter/thank-yous/etc.

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Meriafast

Alright.. thats exactly what i wanted to know. thx
Harnuth

The good news is that you can have a heck of a lot of fun in 15 minutes! For quite a while, Hearth & Table would play at LMB's "Ales & Tales" on Monday nights, and we'd usually have about 15 minutes. It was great fun to plan ahead to finish on time. (Then Crystal's household was blessed with two newborn baby girls and life took a whole different tack. The good news is that things are settling in a bit.)

Everyone probably already knows this, but just in case: There are some techniques for saving time that I've learned through osmosis from the music veterans in the Lonely Mountain Band.

(1) Copy the songs you plan to play into a separate directory in your Songbook, and distribute that to your band members.

(2) Organize the songs to minimize instrument changes between songs.

(3) Rename the copied song files in playlist order.*

*I just put [1], [2], [3] at the start of the filename, such as....

[1]4-(Harnuth)InnaGaddaDaVida.abc

... which is a terrible example because if we played Inna Gadda Da Vida at the summit, we'd have no time for a song [2] and Byrcha would still be there with her hook, dragging us off stage before it was done!

"Alas for peaceful folk everywhere.  It is an enormous task to convince them that evil people with evil intentions will commit evil deeds." --Aragorn
Aedon Durreah
LMB Officer
Weatherstock X

Great example song there Harnuth.
One thing that I hear bands do, and what we do for our sets where timing is tight is to have things set up, much as Harnuth said, so that you can move from one song to the next with little pause.

Harnuth

For your amusement: Another time-saving tip that everyone probably already knows...

Get your band's fellowship and following order set up in advance, and preposition your band to run onto the stage when the time comes. Also get your Songbooks open with the first song and instruments selected before your time starts.

We'll have different toons on line before our turn on stage, so we have to relog to the band when the time comes. That means we need to relog in time to get all that done.

Crystal mentioned that the one step we had not practiced was relogging to our minstrels and getting the band on stage, so we had a go at that. After all, the part you didn't practice is the part that will go wrong.

I'm glad we did! It took nearly six minutes (5:46, to be precise) from the time we decided to relog to the time we played the first note. That was with no flubs other than the fact that I missed my mark on the stage and we were off-center. And we've only two human players who have played together in online adventures for 17 years, each running 2 toons in the band. Your mileage may vary; especially if you have more toons and folks who don't know each other quite so well.

"Alas for peaceful folk everywhere.  It is an enormous task to convince them that evil people with evil intentions will commit evil deeds." --Aragorn
kenghis1
Band Leader
Weatherstock X

also Harnuth log time is tripled if your on the summit.....run your toons down the mountain a bit and log on there.the run up is shorter than the exta log in load at the summit.
GDPR#3463094

re: GDPR#3463094

GDPR#3463094
Posts from:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Weatherstock Forum Index -> Archive Weatherstock 2018 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: