This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Weatherstock Forum Index -> Archive Weatherstock 2016
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Newine

re: For BANDS: Rules CHANGED! How Weatherstock 8 works

Mama said to me, when I was a child - "Learn English!", but I didn't listen then.

Even though you take a lot of words to say it, I think you say it well.
Halgoreth

Gerhalt_w wrote:
Under paragraph 4 of the rules of the performance of each band is limited to 55 minutes. However, some bands which performed the last according to schedule a specific date, exceeded this limit and have played more songs for an encore.

(I apologise that this reply might defy translation. I tend to speak precisely, rather than plainly, which leads to verbosity. I also suck at making short sentences.)

As I understand it, only the portion that is within the scheduled timeframe may be considered for judging purposes. The judges are to disregard whatever might come after the timer runs out, even if that occurs in the middle of your best song. If the judges are mindful of that, and can avoid letting after-limit material influence their decisions, a closing band seizing the opportunity to continue playing should not affect Weathertop selection any more significantly than the many other factors the judges are to disregard (such as their previous experiences with, or personal connections to, any of the competition bands).

I do not know the specifics of the judging guidelines, but it may even be that only songs which finish before the time limit may be considered. Even if not, the only advantage it would give a closing band is the option to start a song to fill the remaining time when there are perhaps only 90 seconds left on the clock.

Whether in competition or not, I would never begrudge a band for taking another encore or two if there is no one else scheduled to play next (either on that stage or elsewhere). However, they should also be considerate of unscheduled acts eagerly waiting to the side to perform before the audience vanishes.

Likewise, if you were someone who wished to make an unscheduled performance for a crowd that someone else has gathered and warmed up (anytime...not just for WCS), you would do well to let their bandleader know your intentions. (Sometimes, bandleaders won't even realise what's going on when they see another band assembling. They may think “Oh, cool! All of ‘Huns n Roses’ has come out to see our show! Let’s keep playing!”)

That I have seen, most bandleaders, if aware that someone is waiting to play an impromptu set, will not play more than a couple numbers beyond their schedule. Typically, they will even announce that you will play after them and encourage their audience to stick around for it. Realise, though, that it is their audience, not yours; they don't have to surrender the stage. Rude as that may seem, I think they are within their rights to hold it until their audience is gone. (Of course, such a refusal to share might also give them an undesirable reputation in the music community of being “stage hogs”.)

I know you were merely pointing out an issue of potential inequity in Weatherstock in order to ensure that the process takes it into account. (Rather than, for instance, mounting a protest campaign and threatening to call your solicitor to file a formal complaint.) It is certainly appropriate that you should voice such a concern. But remember that, like most of us, the main reason you are in WCS is probably because you love performing, rather than primarily because there is a competition to be won. We should take care not to let contention deny us contentment.

To me, the only purpose of the competition aspect of WCS is to provide the LotRO music community an excuse to showcase a large variety of bands at their best. However, no matter how well-thought-out or sophisticated the methodology, there is no way for the Amon Sul selection (or the “Best of” recognition) to be exhaustively comprehensive (not every voter will review every minute of every band), perfectly consistent (even an individual judge who takes careful notes and fills out a judging sheet for each band will not judge consistently from one to the next), completely objective (mood, musical preference, and previous experience with a particular band can lead to biases) or even scientifically accurate (mathematically accurate, perhaps, but a collection of up/down votes is a rather simplistic survey method for evaluation with respect to a complex notion like “Best of”).

But, does it really matter all that much? Some folks, it seems, (and I don't mean you) take the competition part a little too seriously and let that spoil the enjoyment they got from performing for large crowds. One should just enjoy participating in Weatherstock and accept that, in the end, the competition results will always be, to some extent, a little arbitrary...that is unavoidable. If something seemed amiss, they should just note it, then shrug it off and dance.
zedrockk
Event Staff
Weatherstock X

Gerhalt_w wrote:
Please excuse me, but I want to make a couple of comments to the organization of such a wonderful Event!
Under paragraph 4 of the rules of the performance of each band is limited to 55 minutes. However, some bands which performed the last according to schedule a specific date, exceeded this limit and have played more songs for an encore.
In my opinion it is a bit unfair to those bands who start the concert program of the day or are in the middle of the schedule and do not have the opportunity to show all their repertoire, being limited to 55 minutes.
I think it is fair to suggest bands that play the latest, if they want to play an encore to do it at another place, so as not to have an advantage over other bands.

I agree with that.

However, note that in the case of the Breakfast Club, last sunday, the LMB team announced the end of the Concert Series just after the last tune/1rst encore and left.

Both videos were cut almost in the regular time. (around 1 hour, 55 minutes of music, 5-7 minutes for ads and position for the band, arrival/departure)

Zed'
Gerhalt White Wolf
Band Leader
Weatherstock X

Please excuse me, but I want to make a couple of comments to the organization of such a wonderful Event!
In my opinion it is a bit unfair to those bands who start the concert program of the day or are in the middle of the schedule and do not have the opportunity to show all their repertoire, being limited to 55 minutes.
I think it is fair to suggest bands that play the latest, if they want to play an encore to do it at another place, so as not to have an advantage over other bands.

Weatherstock X

UPDATE (5/25): Due to the overlap in the music community nowadays, we have decided to allow LOTRO players who are LMB members to be band leaders for the competition if they so desire. However, no LMB character can perform with a competition band; they must perform on a non-LMB alt (the latter rule has not changed and dates back several years).

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Floradine
Event Staff
Weatherstock X

Hello everyone who is interested in participating in the Weatherstock competition this year! We are looking forward to an exciting summit selection process and on the 23rd of July another great Weatherstock!

== WEATHERSTOCK RULES ==

1. Weatherstock is a competition. Winners will be determined at the summit following the show. One prize will be awarded via an internet vote of all attendees, a second prize will be awarded via an internal vote of LMB members.

2. There will be no weighted lottery for summit selection this year. Bands will be selected through a vote of competition Band Leaders and select LMB Officers. Vote results will be published.

3. Band selection for the competition will occur *AFTER* all the Weatherstock Concert Series shows are completed. Only competing bands will play in the WCS.

4. Weatherstock Concert Series: The Weatherstock Concert Series is a set of concerts put on during the weeks leading up to Weatherstock. These are 55-minute concerts and these slots will be given only to bands that apply for the competition.

5. Playing in the Weatherstock Concert Series *IS* required for the competition. This is an opportunity for bands to showcase their talents for the voters to select them.

6. Competition Band Selection: There are 10 slots for the summit, to be chosen by email vote. Each competition Band Leader and select LMB Officers will vote for their top-5 bands. Band Leaders can vote for their own band.

7. We require a minimum of four members to be considered for the competition at the summit.

8. Multi-boxing: While not prohibited, please be aware that lag can be severe at the summit during the competition, so use multi-boxing at your own risk! The show must go on.

9. Bands have to register at the Weatherstock Guildlaunch site and fill out the given form. Please read the form and fill it out completely. You will need a Guildlaunch account to do this. The account is available for free. If you have participated in a previous Weatherstock competition you still need to re-register for all band registrations have been reset for this year's event.

If you are interested to participate in the competition please follow this link to the registration page: http://weatherstock.guildlaunch.com/recruiting/app_application.php?gid=316072

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Weatherstock Forum Index -> Archive Weatherstock 2016 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: